Does the thought of going away on vacation or visiting your family home back in Maryland during a home renovation make you shudder? Many homeowners are afraid to come home to a clumsy job if they’re not there to watch over the process.
Luckily, this blog reveals the ultimate home and kitchen remodel secrets in Gig Harbor, Port Orchard, University Place, Steilacoom, Fox Island, WA, that you can trust to master your project even in your absence.
Hiring Trustworthy Contractors
Having a reliable, trustworthy contractor solves everything, so consider asking your friends, family, co-workers, acquaintances, and neighbors who have done remodeling for suggestions on kitchen and home remodel companies in University Place and Port Orchard, WA.
If possible, look at their work in person and always cross-check the recommendations online.
Look for reviews and ratings on trusted websites and determine if clients have had mostly good or bad experiences with the concerned contractors.
How Well Does Your Contractor Communicate?
The very thing to assess is whether you can get a hold of your home remodel contractor in Gig Harbor, Port Orchard, University Place, Steilacoom, Fox Island, WA if a decision needs quick attention to avoid halting or delaying the project.
Here are some signs of a communicative contractor:
- Do you have direct access to their mobile number?
- Is the owner also easily accessible?
- Does your contractor have virtual conferencing and 3D designing capabilities? Working with a credible home and kitchen remodel contractor in Gig Harbor, WA, adept at applying this type of technology, will help with everything from the initial design consultation and walk-through to final decisions on materials, layout, and structure, all while you’re on vacation.
During your first few meetings with the contractor, pay close attention to their communication style. Assess factors like: How long does it take them to call you back when you leave a message? Long gaps or delays, unreturned calls, or lack of interest/attention are huge red flags. Instead, a reliable kitchen and home remodel contractor in University Place, Fox Island, and Steilacoom, WA, will always be attentive, use the right technology, and leave quick responses.
How Long Has Your Contractor Been in Business?
Nothing can replace a good reputation that stretches back decades. If a home remodel contractor in Port Orchard, WA, has been working in the same area for a long time, chances are,
- They may have a lot of repeat customers.
- Their experience in home and kitchen remodeling is extensive.
When thinking of remodeling your home while you’re aware, it’s best to look for an established company whose record and reputation you can verify. Your home remodel company in Gig Harbor, Port Orchard, University Place, Steilacoom, Fox Island, WA, should have contractors that are licensed, bonded, insured, and up-to-date on all local building/area codes and requirements.
You always want to ensure the contractor you hire has much experience working on projects similar to yours, whether it’s a bathroom, kitchen, finished basement, large-scale remodel, or an addition.
Planning Your Home Remodel Before Going Away
It’s best to plan your home remodel in Fox Island and Gig Harbor, WA, in advance to avoid any unnecessary frustrations or expenses down the line. There are three key factors to consider as you decide how to plan your remodeling project:
- Your budget: Whether you’re willing to splurge on the highest quality materials or you’re okay with the standard stuff will decide the size and limit of your budget. Likewise, how much you’re willing to spend on a home renovation project will ultimately determine the scope of your project.
- The condition of your property: The state of your home impacts your budget and the projects you take on. Renovating a house that’s already in good shape is a lot more affordable than time-efficient remodeling a fixer-upper, and it’s important to plan accordingly with your chosen contractor to avoid any last-minute changes and mishappenings later on.
- The End goal of your project: Plan your home remodel project in Steilacoom, WA, according to your end goal. If you’re planning to put your house on the market and this remodeling is for raising its resale value, you should plan the project in a way that increases ROI. And if you plan on living in your home for the foreseeable future, update your plan to suit your lifestyle better.
Whatever your life plans are, map out your home renovation accordingly.
Securing your Valuables
Expert kitchen and home remodel contractors in Gig Harbor, Port Orchard, University Place, Steilacoom, and Fox Island, WA, recommend some safety factors to remember during a home renovation project.
- Store all your valuable possessions and fragile items in a secure and locked location. Put them away in a safe or locker that isn’t easily accessed by contractors or anyone else.
- Put specific items like cash and jewelry in a safety deposit box with your bank.
- Ask a trusted family member or friend to store all your special items.
- Take photographs of all stored, valuable items to report missing or stolen items to the police or your insurance company in case anything goes missing.
- Most importantly, protect anything tied to your identity: identification documents, banking records, social security number/EIN, etc.
- Consider a configurable home security system to guard your home overnight and on weekends when contractors are not actively renovating your home.
- Install home automation technology and next-generation door locks that use access codes rather than keys.
Set a Timeline For Your Project
Obviously, if you’re on vacation or living elsewhere during your home renovation, you need a set timeline for completion. Top kitchen and home remodel contractors in Gig Harbor, Port Orchard, University Place, Steilacoom, and Fox Island, WA, suggest consulting with your contractors to figure out how long each project will take. Also, be clear about which process steps need to be completed first and how long it will take.
Additionally, make sure your desired timeline includes:
- Designated time to clean out the area.
- The shipping and delivery time of materials.
- Any holidays your contractor/workers may take.
- A few days extra in case of unexpected issues.
Tracy’s quality painting has been working on home and kitchen remodel projects in Gig Harbor, Port Orchard, University Place, Steilacoom, Fox Island, WA, since 1982, and has received amazing feedback from our cherished customers, who usually have been away during the renovations.
Yes, you can go on an extended vacation and return to an elegantly remodeled home here in Washington. Our team of skilled and experienced contractors will treat your homes like one of ours and ensure that their work far exceeds your needs and requirements.
Schedule a consultation with our team immediately so you can see how we’ve earned those spectacular reviews.